Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My thoughts are too short lived to not remember them with numbers.

I was gonna write this blog without numbering everything, because I know I do that a lot. I was gonna be creative with cool segways into each new topic, but it was just too much work. So, here are 4 thoughts/events/complaints/whatever that are carefully numbered and have nothing to do with each other.

1. I've self-diagnosed my car as having a transmission problem. I don't know the exact problem, but I'm almost positive there is one. The problem is that the boys down at VW won't fix it. I think its cuz its still under warranty and they wanna wait until I have to pay for it before they'll fix it. What to do, what to do...I think this may turn into a hostage situation. Like John Q. But with no sexy black men and no hearts in coolers.

2. I wish there was a form of punctuation between a period (.) and an exclamation point (!), because sometimes I want what I'm typing to seem a little more intense than just ending it with a period, but I don't want it to be as exciting as an exclamation point. Maybe I should invent one. Like a -* or a + or a {> ...I think just the + might be good, it'd be the short way a saying plus a little intenseness, but not quite exciting. I'll experiment.

3. I cooked dinner Sunday for my mom, Taylor and Scott. Dad and David were both out of town. It was good. My mom hadn't seen my apartment all put together so that was fun. Everything I cooked was a first timer, one of the dishes I made up. But I didn't have any complaints. We also played Phase 10 and proved yet again that that game really makes everyone hate each other. It's weird. We don't still hate each other, it goes away fast. Scott just needed to throw some things around the room and I tried to tip Taylor over in his chair and somehow ended up getting pinned on top of the table. No serious injuries. And I won the game...but that's not important.

4. I've been talking religion a lot for the past 8 weeks or so, with a lot of different people from all over the world, different religions and different walks of life. I've had some amazing spiritual conversations and experiences. I've had some stressful and intense moments. I've been happy and sad and enlightened and confused. I've also at times felt like my faith was shaken. I guess right now I don't really know where I am spiritually, but for the most part I feel happy and peaceful about where I'm headed. I'm just trying to learn. But today I was talking to an old friend of mine. We were just catching up on life and its happenings. Surprisingly, (especially surprising for me these days) we weren't talking religion at all. But out of the blue he said, "Drea, you're not Mormon enough to live in Utah." I wasn't sure if it was a compliment or an insult. But I took it as a compliment. There was a moment of slight awkward silence...cricket, cricket... And then I smiled and said, "Thank you+" (Please note the use of the plus sign. Effective?) Maybe I won't go into all the details of why I took it as a compliment because I don't want to offend my faithful Mormon readers...not that my reasons would, but sometimes (I'll admit) I come across a bit harsh. I like to say passionate, but whatever. I'm thinking and digging and researching a lot. (not typical "Utah Mormon" behavior) I have a real desire for more knowledge and understanding of God and what this whole earth life thing is all about. And I thoroughly enjoy...(sometimes prefer) spending time with my non-Mormon friends and acquaintances. I've always done things a little different and gone against the grain, I think I even tried to exit the womb the wrong way. And I don't have a problem admitting (for lack of a less annoying way of explaining it,) that I broke the Utah mold years ago. Having said all that, I love Utah. Lets stop there for now.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm with you on the punctuation between . and ! I use ! too much... but sometimes, a . just doesn't feel like it's enough! (see what I mean?)

Kevin said...

Life is never a straight shot -- you're on an amazing journey now and nothing definitive has to be decided about how things are or aren't -- and I'm just babbling here. Hope all is well. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

You somethimes "prefer" non-mormons?? How sad for us Mormons who count on you as the life of every party, get together, date, phonecall, etc, You don't REALLY mean that do you ? I'm giving you a hard time. I guess I get it, but don't forget about me while your on your quest. I want to call you but its' 3:30am. I hate working graves. loveLove

it's me, andrea. said...

Oh Chris, nothing about how I feel about my Mormon friends has changed. I would never stop being "the life" ;) thanks for caring! And you should have called or at least texted. I was awake at 3:30am. These days I seem to have a couple nights a week where my mind doesn't shut down, so I just stay up. Love Love you too.

And thanks Bish for the thoughts, I always appreciate what you say. Miss you too.

Anonymous said...

Do you know what would be awesome Andrea? If you'd ever answer your phone. If you didn't blog, I'd think you were dead.

Kofa High Sports Medicine said...

Don't feel bad about preferring "non-mormons." I prefer non-mormons a lot...in fact i prefer not even knowing whether someone is mormon or not! I know, I know...crazy talk for someone who lived in Utah for 13 years. Believe it or not, when I left Utah, it was a breath of fresh air to have the religion question be a third or fourth date question as opposed to a "before I will date or be friends with you" question. Imagine that, Utah!

it's me, andrea. said...

Kathy, I love your comments. You make me think more and you always get what I'm saying. I'm struggling with Utah for sure. I feel kinda stuck but I also think I'm scared of leaving my comfort zone. (i could get out if I really wanted to) anyone can. And I totally agree on the not knowing or caring what religion someone is.
Typical Utah first date Q's

Oh, you speak Spanish? Where did you serve your mission?

Have you been mormon your whole life?

What ward are you in?

(My personal favorite) Oh you've been to the temple? Did you serve a mission? (me) No, I got married in the temple.

Anyway, yeah, you get it.