Sunday, April 1, 2012

Springy time!

I feel like spring has been cooler than winter was here in California. I never thought I'd say this, but I've kind of missed the Utah cold a little bit. Not driving in, cleaning off, shoveling, or digging out of the snow. Just scarves, hats, boots, hot chocolate, seeing my breath on afternoon walks, etc.

Anyway, it's nice to say it's spring, and I like that it's staying light later...although with Addison's new bedtime, the light might cause me more trouble than it's worth. Every night at bedtime, for the past few nights anyway, I sing Kelly Clarkson's "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" in my head. That's how I feel about Addison lately and her new found determination to never fall asleep again. And for the record, I'm not killed yet, but I don't feel a damn bit stronger. Maybe the sleep stuff should be a different post for a different day...

So...Spring!

Garrett got a fresh new haircut. Haircut number 7. But haircut number 1 by someone who actually knows what they are doing. He looks so sharp and handsome and old. We took him right after having a shot at the doctor, which maybe wasn't the best idea, but he did ok. He just needed his alligator...then he needed the hair cutters spray bottle- that he kept spraying her with, then he needed a sucker from her, then he dropped it in hair so he needed another sucker from her, then she had to find him a little bee to play with, then he wanted to try another stylists spray bottle, then he needed to have his bottle hanging out of his mouth for security, then finally I had to hold him so he'd be brave enough to let her do around the ears. It was a LONG process, but a success! Needless to say, we gave her a more than 100% tip. And Garrett got a quarter for a surprise out of the machine, which made everything fantastic.We celebrated Poppy's real birthday after the cut, at Marie Calendar's, but this was the only picture I took.Oh and here's my two little cutie's on the exam table.Addison tried 'real' food. I swore I wouldn't try it as early as we did with Garrett, (about a week before 5 months), but we actually tried it earlier with her (4.5 months). It was an attempt to fill her up to help her sleep better, but she didn't swallow enough to even see if it would work, and I think it'll be a few weeks before we try again. But she's sure cute trying!We went to a birthday party for some friends who's little boy turned 3. It was so fun, lots of kiddos! And I love a good party with a good theme, and Rebecca did an amazing job combining dinosaurs and trains for this party. So many fun things and Garrett had a blast! There was a huge train set to build and play with, a train wagon to ride in, a dinosaur egg hunt, bowling, yummy food, bubbles, and a fun backyard with some slides and toys. Garrett was entertained the whole time. I told Paul I'm really looking forward to someday having a yard again, and he agreed.Garrett seemed to understand the egg hunting thing, makes me excited to see how he does on Easter.Garrett and the birthday boy.He loved exploring and playing in the yard.And he loved the big bubbles! He'd watch them one by one get higher and higher until they popped. I love watching little kids so fascinated with things.Oh, and if you're wondering how the bottle cold turkey situation is going, I'll tell you. The day after his doctor told us to have a "Bottles are for babies, and you're a big boy now" throwing away party, I gave him a sippy cup after breakfast. He took it just fine. And he used the same cup all day. No reaching toward the counter where the bottles are. No dropping the cup and falling to the floor in tears. It was like he'd never used anything else. The next day I debated just getting rid of them without him seeing, but I decided to have him help so if he ever reached for them I could remind him that we threw them away because he's a big boy now. I put the bottles and all the pieces in a box and explained what we were doing. He helped throw everything away and he was fine. The only frustration came when I wouldn't let him play with the trash lid. Anyway, he's only had sippy cups since, and not a single complaint. It's so weird. It's like he heard the doctor and was like, "Ok, I get it. No more bottles...Blah, blah, blah." Anyway, we're good. And I think there are worse things than letting a baby make it to 18 months with a bottle so I don't regret not going cold turkey sooner.

No comments: