Monday, June 9, 2008

Nonprofit Work

I found this quote from a friend who found it from Robert Egger, president of D.C. Central Kitchen, speaking to young nonprofit workers, in the Chronicle of Philanthropy:

You all have completely got to redesign charity in America, 100 percent, top to bottom. There’s no big pot of money out there that’s going to allow you all to get paid a good wage unless you go out and develop it. What I see in your generation is a desire to see your spirituality, your income, and your lifestyle mesh. It doesn’t exist yet, and I think a lot of people come to the nonprofit sector thinking, I’ll find it there, and can be a little discouraged.

This is so true. I work in Nonprofit. I get an ok salary and some good perks. I.e. travel expense account, flexible schedule, awesome connections in Hawaii, etc. But I think this quote is thought provoking. Nonprofit is a lot of work, and is sometimes overwhelming and discouraging. But we all have the ability and responsibility to create the life we want. It really doesn't just exist, we have to build it. If you don't like your destiny or the course you're on, then change it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ANDREA! Wow, you are beautiful. I miss that smile. I know its been a long time but I just want to tell you I'm impressed at your strength. Youve gone through your share of stuff the past few years and as I've been catching up on your blog I can see that you continue to grow nad stand by what you believe and what desire from life. And nothing that anyone else thinks shakes you. That's huge. I'm sending you a huge cyber kiss. Miss you

Justin said...

I agree with you Andrea...but I don't think I'm in to cyber kissing just yet.

Randi Kay said...

ok..well you know what chris and i think about you coming out here. New zealand is the most amazing place i have ever been and when else are you going to get a chance to come here so cheap, get shown around, and hang out with us at the same time. You would be lame not to. That is all I have to say about that. So get your but over here before we leave the south island at the end of june!!

Mandy said...

Hey, great quote, where did you get it? :)