Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pearl Harbor


This was really last minute, but Saturday afternoon we decided to go to Pearl Harbor. That was really the only thing Taylor wanted to do, but it's on Oahu and we were on Kauai so we kinda decided not to. But then I decided I'd feel bad if Taylor didn't see it. So I got online and booked flights to Honolulu, then hurried and booked flights from Honolulu to SLC for the next night. We hurried and packed and headed for the airport. On the way to the airport I booked a rental car in Honolulu. We jumped on a plane and flew to Honolulu. Got to Honolulu, and I called and booked a hotel in Waikiki. We picked up our car and headed to Waikiki. Got to the resort, planned out visit to Pearl Harbor for Sunday morning, and we were set. It was a crazy couple hours and it made me appreciate my blackberry. I usually do my trip planning and booking pretty last minute, but this little side trip was very last minute. I got all my email confirmations and everything on my phone and we somehow pulled it off.

This is the view from our room at the Waikiki Beach Resort. I was beautiful, but SO BUSY. I'd recommend Kauai if you want a nice relaxing vacation. Way too many people on Oahu.

I was trying to decide how to explain how I felt at Pearl Harbor. It's too hard to explain I guess. It's hard for me to go see things like this, but I also enjoy it. It's no secret to those who know me well that I'm not a fan of Bush. Mainly because of my strong opinions about war, as well as some of my own conspiracy theories about 9/11. I might be right and I might be wrong, but there's been a time or 2 in the past few years where I didn't freely say "I'm proud to be an American." I guess I still don't freely say this. But I appreciate our US Military. Seeing war memorials and reading names on a wall make these events very real to me. Hearing stories and reading letters of love and loss and heartache and hope, breaks my heart and humbles me. I don't know how to wrap this post up, so...the end.

2 comments:

Rin said...

Hi again! I was born and raised LDS, but most of my family wasn't active, so I always felt so strongly in my testimony, that it had always been my decision and only mine without strong influence from my parents to believe in the LDS faith. But I'm definitely facing the bigger questions now and finding that truth and goodness is universal. I suppose my beliefs haven't even truly changed. I always believed there were many truths out there and I had never reconciled myself to some of the ideas in the LDS faith. But it's still scary to voice it out loud. I'm still searching though...as I suppose I will be for the rest of my life and I think that is good. I'm excited to read that book from Robert Millet that you linked on here.

Anonymous said...

You look so sad in all these pictues. When are we going to go to dinner?