Friday, May 9, 2008

here comes the pretend bride.

I was never one, even as a little girl, to plan my "dream wedding." I never put a white pillow case on my head, or practiced throwing a bouquet made out of tissue paper, and I never bought BRIDE magazine just to get dress ideas. And as a bride-to-be 5 years ago, I had fun planning my wedding, but it was never crazy over the top explosively exciting for me. Wrong guy, might have been the reason, I dunno.

However, I've been in Hawaii for 3 days now, and I've had about a bajillion wedding ideas! (Three...close to a bajillion.) On day one I had to do a walk through of some condos with my boss and a male co-worker. This place is amazing! It's almost done being built and it would blow your mind. We were all standing on a balcony of one of the units that overlooks the amazing ocean and my boss was explaining the landscape. He was pointing at the pool explaining the look it will have, he was saying where the bar would be situated by the pool, (picture that blurry wavy thing the tv screen does when an actor is starting to day dream)...that grassy area there will be for dancing, there will also be an indoor ballroom below us, there will be a gazebo right over there, surrounded by exotic flowers and a speaker system, the outdoor sound system will be set up right there, and there will be a pathway leading from these stairs to that gathering area...Glen, my co-worker was of course seeing dollar signs. I, on the other hand was seeing myself as the most beautiful bride ever, at my own little intimate destination wedding with just my and my pretend husbands family and maybe a couple really close friends. When my boss finally stopped explaining and looked at Glen and I for a response. I said, "I'm getting married here!" They both just looked at me, rolled their eyes, and walked back into the condo. I quickly followed them in and said, "I'm serious!"

Anyway, then today I was laying at the beach and two men walked over to me. One had a laptop and one had a huge camera. Maybe they thought I was a monk seal. (That won't be funny if you didn't read the post below this.) Anyway, they asked the name of the beach, I told them, they asked if I knew where blah blah beach was, I told them. They said, great thank you, we have to shoot a wedding here tonight and we wanted to make sure we were in the right area. Wedding? Wedding? You have my attention. Anyway, we chatted a bit. They are father and son and they do weddings all over Hawaii on all the islands. They broadcast the weddings live on the internet if the bride and groom want them to so all of you back in Utah can watch my little wedding here in Hawaii! Check 'em out here. When they left, the dad, Larry, gave me his card and said, "nothing happens by coincidence." Ok. Bye Larry. Anyway, they were really cool.

Then later today, I had to drive to the other end of the island and I was in this earthy, wood, flower, Hawaiian stuff, store. They had the coolest flower arrangements. Totally unique, and I couldn't even try to think of how to explain them. Anyway, I of course thought to myself, I should have those at my wedding. And I think I will.

So there you have it. I'm 28 years old. (way beyond the age of being excited about wedding planning in my opinion) No where near even dating a guy, let alone being close to an engagement. And, I'm planning my wedding. I think I'll start taking husband applications when I get home in a couple weeks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be by for an application when you return. I'm going to stay "anonymous" with this comment so you'll wonder and think I'm creepy for 2 weeks. Just kidding. I'm going to call you right now cause I miss you so much, then you'll know who this shady comment is from. ANSWER YOUR PHONE!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Beautiful.
Sign. Me. Up.

Anonymous said...

One more thing I should mention. This is ironic to me because you know as well as I do that you could have any guy you want. Anyone! You're one of those girls that blows the minds of guys like me. (right before you break our hearts) How is a gorgeous, smart, independent, funny, generous, sweet lady like yourself not married? Be honest, who are you holding out for? The lucky bastard has got to be out there somewhere.

it's me, andrea. said...

Joe Joe Joe...I almost didn't allow your last comment to appear. It's kind of embarrassingly nice. You're such a sweet heart. And I can neither confirm nor deny that I'm holding out for someone...

And to you "anonymous", it was so good to talk to you last night. I miss you too.