Saturday, April 26, 2008

MARATHON...some say 5K, I say Marathon.

That's right, I ran (walked) a marathon (5K) today. Dictionary.com defines marathon as, 1. a foot race over a course measuring 26 mi. 385 yd. (42 km. 196 m). OR 2. a long-distance race. OR (it keeps getting better) 3. any contest, event, or the like, of great, or greater than normal, length or duration or requiring exceptional endurance: a dance marathon; a sales marathon. I think 5 kilometers is a "long-distance" -definition #2, check. A 5K race is a "contest" and an "event" of "greater than normal length or duration" AND it "required exceptional endurance." -definition #3, check. Who cares about #1, that's the lamest of all the definitions.

The marathon was a fund raiser for the Draper Historical Theatre. Justin is the chairman or boss or president or something of the theatre, so Melanie asked if I wanted to do it with them. Best $27.50 I ever spent. Bryon came down too, what a babe. I had to get up at 6:15 and it was so cold. (just at the beginning.) I hate running. What's fun about it? You can't really talk, everything is bouncing around, and it makes my ankle hurt, (the one full of metal). I tried to sign up for the boys 1/2 mile, but Mel wouldn't let me.

Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who all the other stupid people are. **Sidenote** And I apologize if this is insensitive. But during the Mark Hacking trial a couple years ago, I was talking to some co-workers about it. I made a comment that if I turn up missing and any man ever says that, "she went running and never came home" (tear, sniff). You'll know that that is your first and only sign you need that he's lying! ANDREA DOESN'T RUN. And then he'll be immediately convicted for my murder.

Today was actually pretty fun, I'm just a bit dramatic...shocking. And here are my stats. (Don't be too impressed until you get all the way through this.)

Andrea Greenhalgh Women's 5K #927

8th Place Overall

2nd in Women 21-30

Not bad, huh? Ok, they started in the 900's. I wasn't actually the 927th runner. "8th place overall" was just in womens. 9 women ran it, and "2nd in Women 21-30" ...well, there were 3 women in that age bracket. I did the race in 50:02.0 (16:06 Min/Mi). I swear it was more like 49:52.0, which would mean I "run" just under a 10 Min/Kilometer. 10 Min/K sounds way faster that 16 Min/Mi.

Here's the thing, Melanie is pregnant. And whenever she wants to get out of something or get a little pity she uses that excuse. ...you know you do Mel, you can't be mad. And same goes for Justin but he just says, "my wife is pregnant." Justin and Bryon wanted to run, and Melanie couldn't run. I didn't want to leave her in my dust. Thus, leading me to the conclusion of my race experience. "I didn't win the race because Melanie is pregnant."

After the race the 4 of us went to breakfast. Bacon, hash browns, omelets, scones, french toast...we didn't want that 5K to do us any good.


3 comments:

Kofa High Sports Medicine said...

That makes me so sad that I was not there...even sadder because I was running a 1/2 marathon that weekend. I would have prefered the 5k. I think I'll start doing more of those. #1 way to enjoy 5k's? Run a couple 1/2 marathons. I only have one question: Who won between Bryon and Justin? ;)

it's me, andrea. said...

Bryon won...by about 10 minutes I think. But give Justin a break, his wife is pregnant. ;) And I think I'll pass on the 1/2 marathons. I'll just keep calling 5K's marathons.

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have been there to see this! By the way, Is the 5K the reason you said your ass might be dislocated? LOL! It was good seeing you tonight, I miss you!