Several months ago I had a dream that I spray painted my dining room table with chalkboard paint. I totally loved it in the dream and I woke up thinking I should do it in real life. Months passed and I never did anything. Then, a while back I pinned a couple of pictures of multi-colored dining room chairs, and I thought that might be fun someday. I remembered then, about the chalkboard table, so I did a little Pinterest research on that. I didn't find much, but I did find pictures of a little cafe somewhere that have chalkboard tables. I've been a little worried about how durable/washable a chalkboard surface would be. Spills, grease, etc. But I figured if it can hold up at a restaurant, it'll probably do ok at my house...maybe...hopefully. Because I finally did it!
There's no before or after pictures. Sorry. And I scanned through a couple months of pictures, and this is the only one I could find of at least a tiny part of what the table used to look like. And as you can tell, I wasn't careful about protecting it from paint, glue, kids, etc. My parents bought it for me in Germany 13 years ago at IKEA.
On to sanding/priming. I hate sanding. Hate. So on all the chairs I just lightly sanded the seats. That's all. And while, as you see in the picture below, I used up lots of primers I had on hand, and they all go on just fine. I will say, all primers are not created equally. Zinsser COVER STAIN (far right) is the best primer I've used. Especially if you're painting over another finish. I got it at Home Depot for $5.96 a can. I think I used four cans of primer for six chairs, a booster seat, and the table.
On probably three of the seven chairs, I just used one can of paint. Different colors, and different sizes/details on the chairs changed it a bit. One tip though, I painted all my chairs outside and I know the wind contributed to some of my paint quantity needs. I did the (final coat of the) table in a garage and it went on so smooth and easy. So do them in a (well ventilated) garage. I'm sure I lost a lot of paint to the wind, and would have been able to do each with just one can.
I sealed the chairs and table legs with Rust-Oleum clear glossy sealer. I've also used lots of sealers. This one is just as good as any in my opinion, and is one of the least expensive.
I just used nail hole fill putty stuff. Let it dry for a couple hours, then sanded again. Such helpful kids.
Here is my first "finished" picture. Those white splotches aren't chalk. They just appeared after I prepped it and wiped it down. I tried to pretend like I didn't mind, but the next day I knew I needed to re-do it if I was going to be happy.