Thursday, July 19, 2012

salsa, loneliness, and a movie synopsis

I mentioned the salsa to a friend yesterday, and I've been meaning to post it for a few weeks, so I thought I'd hurry and do it.  I of course found it on Pinterest.  When I was in Utah last week, I said, "I saw this idea on pinterest..." so many times, that my mom said, "how did you survive without pinterest?"  And she also said, "when you tell me about something, I'll just assume it was on pinterest unless you say otherwise."  Anyway, this salsa reminds me on Chili's salsa, which I love!  During one of my pregnancies I'd send Paul to Chili's just to get chips and salsa.  Oh the money that could have been saved if pinterest wound have been invented earlier. (Paul would say, "Oh the money we'd save if pinterest was never invented.")...but anyway.

Easy Blender Salsa

1 - 14oz can diced tomatoes
1 - 10oz can original Rotel
1/2 small onion roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and mashed
1/2-1 jalapeno, seeded or not
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
small to med size handful of cilantro
juice of one lime

throw it all in the blender, pulse to combine ingredients until it gets to the consistency you like, and enjoy!

My notes:  I drain the juice off of the diced tomatoes.  I wasn't sure the first time I made it so I saved the juice in a dish, but when I was done I for sure didn't want to add it.  It would have been too runny.  (I don't drain the rotel.)  I just used garlic from a jar. 1/2-1 tsp.  Be REALLY careful with the jalapeno.  I've never used more that a 1/4 of one for a DOUBLE batch, and the recipe calls for 1/2-1 for ONE batch.  Garrett loves him some salsa, and one time I used 1/4 of one for a double batch and Garrett about choked to death, so I made ANOTHER DOUBLE batch to add to it.  The batch I made yesterday has NO jalapeno in it, and it's perfect.  The rotel has some kick!  They also make hot rotel if you'd like.  And I'm super scared about cutting jalapenos with two mobile babies.  What if I drop a seed?!  What if I don't wash my hands well enough and I touch their faces?!  Anyway, I'll be making it jalapeno free now because it's perfect without.

We snack on chips and salsa often around here.  It's also great on tacos, and on tossed salad with a little ranch.  Oh, and the time I made a quadruple batch, I froze some in a jar.  It still tasted yummy, but it got a little runny.

(yesterday's batch)

I think Addie misses Garrett.  (He'll be back from Utah tomorrow.)  She is so fussy all day!  And it's been like that all week.  She has to be able to see me and reach me at all times.  Usually she'll sit on the floor and play with Garrett while I shower, do dishes, fold laundry, etc.  But not this week!  It could also be teething.  But I choose to believe that she loves and misses her brother.  So much for a productive week with only one kid!  This is where I had to put her so I could have a two minute shower yesterday, and she still fussed.

Have you heard about the new movie called, 'The Obama Effect'?  A friend of mine posted about this on facebook and I thought it was funny, so I watched the trailer.  The synopsis on itunes trailers starts like this:

"In the beginning of the 21st century, no one ever thought that an African-American would become the first President of the United States."

...umm, what?...

What does that mean?  Maybe they mean the first president of the 21st century?  Which is also not true, for anyone who's confused.

Anyway, just thought it was funny.  And I'm guessing the movie will probably be about as thought out as the synopsis.

No comments: