Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mom Fail

Wednesday's are my least favorite day of the week. They usually consist of 2 appointments for Garrett, and that's why I'm not a big fan. They are even worse when you just got back from vacation the night before, and your son had a little too much play time with a sick baby while on said vacation, so he wakes up with a cold himself. And, it's humid and 109 degrees outside. The heat and me and G have become a bad combo. My stomach is an oven and his head is the stove top. We're both hot. all. the. time.

I had to wake him up to be out the door on time for appointment number one. Took longer because of some nose cleanup issues, forgot two things, there was an accident on the freeway, but somehow we made it just in time. Just in time for Garrett to have a huge blow-out. And yesterday happened to be the first time in our Cranial Tech history that I just grabbed what we 'needed' and I didn't bring the diaper bag. Fortunately I found a diaper and a travel pack of wipes in my purse, and we made it before it reached the clothes.

The appointment went awesome. Great progress with his head, and his clinician said she's never seen him act so happy. (Even with snot running down his face.)

We got home and he slept for 2.5 hours. It could have been longer, but I had to wake him for physical therapy. That went really well too. Aside from a lot of sneezes and nose wipes. But he was really happy the whole time. And every time she'd finish working on one thing and move on to the next, Garrett would smile and clap for her. So cute.

After PT he was over the day. He seemed miserable, wouldn't take another nap, and I spent 3 hours following him around with a tissue. He finally fell asleep in time for Paul to tell me that he needed to stop by an event that he'd forgotten about and he wanted us to go with him. (We should have stayed home.) We woke Garrett up and got him ready. He cried a lot, which just creates more fluids on the face, and we finally made it out the door.

When we got to this 'just stop by' event, I heard 3 or 4 people as we walked in say, "There he is!" A lady came up to us and said, "We have reserved seating for you and your family on the front row." She walked us to the front and there was a huge framed thing thanking the White family and White Emerson Mortuary for there generous contributions. And when the event started the women thanked Paul for all he's done, and then another man got up and presented him with a fancy folder and a certificate of some sort and they did the photo-op hand shake and everything while everyone clapped. (I'm still not sure what Paul did.)

Garrett was not having it. He was fussy and pretended to choke on a grape. So I got up and took him out. We found a bench to play on. It was right next to the entrance. He was all over the place. He finally calmed down when I let him stand at the glass (next to the sliding doors) and look outside. He sneezed a couple times, and in the 2 seconds that I turned away to grab a wipe, the sliding doors opened and pinned one of his hands between the glass. He started screaming. The door wouldn't shut. So I had to sit there and hold his arm while his hand was stuck. It only stayed open for about 5-7 seconds, but in that time I thought, "is it gonna rip his hand off when it closes??" "Is it gonna run over his hand and break all his fingers??" I didn't know what to do! It finally shut and I just held his arm. I grabbed him and his hand seemed fine. Really dirty, but fine. He was still scared and crying. I wiped his hand off, kind of put a little pressure on it and kissed it. He slowly calmed down. But I was DONE. I text Paul that we needed to go. And then I called his phone. He didn't see either message, but he heard Garrett crying so he came out and we left.

Last night I really appreciated that I'm not alone in this parenting thing. And even more grateful that I have a husband who is great at stepping in and taking over when he sees that I'm maxed out.

The rest of the evening was fine. Until we put Garrett to bed and he coughed so much that he threw up all over. We cleaned him up and changed the sheets. Luckily he went right to sleep and slept all night. And I was really happy to finally crawl into bed too, and be done with Wednesday.

No comments: