Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stress-free

We made it to Utah, on schedule. Garrett was still a little sick, and stayed a little sick for a couple days after we got here. I blame his grumpiness on the runny nose and antibiotics that I shove down his throat every night while his head is flailing and he screams at the top of his lungs. I'd be grumpy too. 2 more days of meds... I also blame me for his 'off schedule-ness'. No matter how hard I try, bedtime is later and nap times are shorter whenever we're not at home.

He did fine on the flight. No tears. Lots of toys on the floor and lots of standing between my legs. (Thanks Paul for getting us an 'even more legroom' seat.) And lots of playing with the 5 year old half-rican american boy next to us, (with a huge fro that G laughed at the whole time)who YELLED in mid-flight to his Grandma across the isle, "Nanny-Beeeee! I found a yiddle angel baby!!!" It got lots of laughs from several rows of people.

But more importantly, I did fine on the flight. I feel like I'm a bit of a 'seasoned traveller'. I have airlines and airports that I like and don't like. I feel I've travelled enough to have these opinions. I won't name any I don't like. But I will say, when Paul and I plan family trips for us and the kids, if we want to go somewhere that Jetblue does not fly too, I will reconsider plans.

Our time in UT is going fast. The big party is on Saturday and things are coming along. We're having catered chinese food for the family dinner. But aside from that, I'm heading up all the rest. (with lots of help from my mom and a couple aunts) There is an open house right after dinner. I'm doing table decorations, room decor, mini sandwiches, fruit kabobs, relish trays, fresh fruit lemonade, chocolate dipped oreos, pretzels, and strawberries, and 5 flavors of mini cupcakes, as well as candy jars. All of my aunts and uncles are doing a 2 minute tribute, there will be a couple songs from the 40's, we're working on a timeline of major world events and family events that have happened in the past 70 years, Paul has made a fun video slide show that you can see HERE, and all the kids, grand kids, and great grand kids, have written letters that will be compiled in a book. And a photographer will be there to document it all through pictures.

And the best part is that I'm not stressed out! My poor grandma is though. She has her blouse, skirt, nylons and shoes all laid out and ready for the big day, as well as my grandpa's suit, shirt, and matching tie, (that my mom and I picked out and bought for him) but she still feels so overwhelmed by what I'm "willing to take on". (her words) I check in with her daily to assure her that its fun and stress-free for me. Cute little Grandma.

HERE is the invite in the Davis County Clipper. It should be in the SL tribune and/or Deseret news today. Come on by if you happen to know them and didn't get an invite by mail.

No comments: