Wednesday, May 11, 2011

packing for utah ???

Garrett and I are supposed to be heading to Utah tomorrow night. That's the plan right now anyway. Unfortunately our weekend whirlwind trip kind of did the little G man in. Early Monday morning, like 4am, I heard him coughing in his crib. He slept through it so I wasn't too worried. But all day monday he was sneezing, coughing, and rubbing his face a lot. He woke up 3 times during the night on Monday night and I could tell he just wasn't feeling good.

I called the doc yesterday and took him in. One eye was just slightly pinkish and watery, and he was still sneezing and coughing and had a pretty runny nose. The doc said he thinks its just a mild cold, but he said that he's had a few cases of pneumonia with babies this week so we started a 10 day antibiotic just to prevent that. I told him about our trip and asked if I should cancel it, and he said, no and that Garrett will be fine.

I had him sleep in the pack and play next to our bed last night. He fell asleep fast but at about midnight he woke up. He could not get comfortable. He tossed and turned, and grunted. No crying, but not falling back to sleep. I finally picked him up and put him in bed with us. He was asleep in seconds and he literally didn't move for 7 more hours. This is the first time Garrett has slept with us. I'm not a fan of co-sleeping, and it definitely wont be a normal thing, but I loved waking up next to a cozy, warm, cuddly baby.

This morning has been about the same as yesterday, except that he's a little more content today. Yesterday he was pretty fussy and if he wasn't within arms reach of me he'd cry. Today he's back to playing and entertaining himself. But still all the same cold stuff going on. I hate seeing him like this. The only good part is when he's really tired but not falling asleep he wants to cuddle. He rests his head on my shoulder or chest and just looks at me, or looks at my shirt. I had a jacket on during one snuggle and he just kept lightly rubbing the zipper while resting on me. Oh I love it! It made me miss when he was a month or so and all we did all day was cuddle. He's still smiling and laughing, even when he had snot running down his face and watery eyes. He's just so positive and easy-going all the time. Sometimes I wonder how he came from me.

Anyway, that's where we're at right now. If I don't see some more improvement by tomorrow morning, we may postpone our trip for a couple days. But praying we make it out tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Poor lil' guy. Langdon just came down with a cold too. Yesterday he was really cranky and I thought, "the last time he was like this, he was sick." Sure enough today he's got the runny nose and watery eyes.

We don't cosleep either, but when Langdon was 4 or 5 months old and had a cold, I took him down to the basement and we slept on the guest bed together so as not to wake up Daniel. It worked out fine and I didn't have to get up to comfort him or wipe his nose.

Hope he feels better quickly and your trip goes smoothly.