Wednesday, May 25, 2011

doc bands, meds, and colds. in no particular order.

Paul had a cold. Then he got over it. Then Garrett got a cold. Then Paul got a cold. Then Paul got over it. Then Garrett got over it. Then I got a cold. That brings you up to date on the cold situation at our house.

I didn't take my unisom combo last night. I took Metoclopramide instead. Big mistake. Huge. My doc warned me that it could make me a little loopy. She said it was safe to take every 6 hours, but if I did, I'd want to have some help lined up because I may not function. I took it just before 9PM when Garrett was asleep. Paul and I went to bed at 11PM. I start feeling tired with unisom within about 20 minutes. I felt nothing from the Meto-blahblah. I laid in bed. Then I started singing 'For health and strength' and 'Row row row your boat'. Oh did I mention that I threw up right before I went to bed? Then I made Paul sing the 2 songs with me in rounds. Then he dosed off. I woke him up to talk about something. Honestly can't remember what. I think it was something about me being a bad wife and a bad mom. Then I noticed the light on the ceiling from the screen of Garrett's monitor. So I did a hand puppet show with the shadows. It was a dinosaur and a unicorn fighting. Then I made Paul try and guess the shadow sign language for 'I heart you'. Then he went back to sleep. At 2AM I realized I was still awake. At 3:30AM I realized I was still awake and needed to pee. So I did. I also realized it had been more than 6 hours since I took a pill. So I took a half of a unisom. Those don't wear off for about 9 hours, so I got about 3 hours left. I played brick breaker on my phone for an hour and then fell asleep. 2 hours later the men who are re-roofing our building got here. It sounds like a herd of wild elephants running around for about 10 hours a day. And that's where we're at right now. Oh and this morning? I remember singing and puppet showing. I just don't remember why I did it. I also text Paul at 8AM to see if we could go camping and he said, "Is this the meds talking?" But it's not, I really want to go camping.

We took Garrett to Cranial Technologies yesterday for a head evaluation and the first round of pictures. He's getting a helmet. Paul and I feel good about what they told us. I'll fill in more details when we go in for round 2 of pictures and get fitted, but for now, he'll probably have it in about 3 weeks and he'll wear it for 23 hours a day for the next 3.5 to 8 months. I know, right? Oh well. We saw a lot of doc band babies yesterday and they all seem to not mind the 4 ounces of plastic on their heads all day. And I talked to a lady in the elevator who had a 12 month old who was in his 5th month of doc band usage and she said he loves it and she sees tons of improvement. When its off for the 1 hour a day he wonders where it is. My only question is how does 4 ounces of plastic cost so much? Oh well, you can't put a price on a round head. Well, actually you can, and it's about $4500.00. Oh and did I mention that if he needs it for more than 4 months we have to have a second helmet made? So $4500 X2. We're waiting to hear tomorrow if our insurance covers any of this 'elective' treatment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe the helmet is "elective treatment." I effing hate health insurance right now. I hope that yours covers it and you don't have that added stress.

maranoelle said...

I'm literally belly laughing right now. Shadow puppets?? Oh, shiz. Love you.