Thursday, August 14, 2008

organic-y and green-ish

I'm kinda starting to care about the planet and my body. I've always kind of cared but I've become more aware lately. I think it happened when I decided I might have skin cancer. I don't know why that did it to me but for some reason it got me thinking. I was paying almost $1500 for my skin treatments and when I heard about the all natural sun block they sell at Avanti (which is about a third the size of an average Banana Boat bottle of sun block and costs like $36.00 I think) I figured, why not? It's weird that if you just walked in and said "how much is your sun block?" and they said, "$36.00" you'd be like, "Oh, H no." but when they're like, "Ok, your total is $1467.52, and would you like this tiny bottle of 36 dollars sun block?" you're like, "H yes I would! Throw it on there!" I love it though. I went to lunch with my friend Braden a couple days ago and we were talking about my skin. Riveting, I know. (he's so good to me) Anyway, anyone who knows me at all and more specifically anyone who has ever been in the sun with me, know that I HATE HATE HATE sun block. I've probably used a teaspoon of it in my entire life. (Which is why I'm now spending hundreds of dollars to fix all the damage I've done...I always learn things the hard way.) Anyway, I was telling Braden how much I use sun block now. I'm so aware of my skin and how much I'm exposed to the sun. I use to think that when I was a mom I'd have cute little bronze babies who loved being in the sun. Nope. Not anymore. They will be pasty white and cancer free for life. Well, this skin stuff has made me think about my health in general and how much better I feel when I eat healthy and drink a lot of water. I've started eating less meat and drinking less soda. And I drink a ton of water and eat organic fruits and vegetables. My body seems happy. I don't think I'll go all fanatic about it, but I'm definitely more aware of what I put in me. Our bodies like simple and natural I think.

I'm also getting into the reusable bags. If I forget mine, I buy a new one at the store. Soon I'll have enough to have a few at home, a few in my car, and one or two in my purse. I'll get in the habit sooner or later.

One thing that I am in the habit of, (FINALLY) is exercise. My body hates me when I miss a day. I love that it's a habit now, like peeing and eating ice. Gotta do it everyday. Taylor and I went hiking last night. Utah is pretty.
P.S. I was at Costco yesterday waiting for some pictures to print and I tried this organic ice cream. I'm not a fan of ice cream but this was really good. Try it. I bought a box of 2, Strawberry and Chocolate Chocolate Chip. It's not "organic priced." That's the one downfall of super healthy living, you gotta have a little money. But the box of 2 cartons was less than 5 bucks.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you think if you keep buying the reusable bags that's worse on the environment? Also, is there such thing as organic chocolate chips? Hahaha, just messin. I have a cool hike to take you on.

Bryon said...

Next you'll enjoy eating fish at Market Street Grill. H ya you will.

Bryon said...

I just got back from the store. I used by "green" bag and the lady just put the plastic bag on the inside. I don't think she gets it.

Bryon said...

Ya I just posted my comment without correcting it. O H

Melanie said...

Yay for being 'green'. I'm addicted. And yes... it's still better for the environment if you buy reusable, as opposed to using plastic. I'd also buy all organic if I could afford it.

it's me, andrea. said...

I love that she put the plastic bag in the reusable bag. Duh. That's funny.

Randi Kay said...

Yay organic food. You are finally joining us.....I am so proud. And i'm officially back in Logan so we should have a party.

Anonymous said...

Is that your Make Peace shirt in those pictures?? You really are going green! Good job!!

it's me, andrea. said...

Yes diz, I'm becoming organic. I knew you'd be proud. We need to party for sure! I need to hear all about the awesome trip, and more importantly, Andrew. Is he my soul mate?

And yes Jamie, that is my 'green' shirt. Makes me seem more official huh? Totally not planned.

Mandy said...

Way to go! :) Healthy and organic is kind of a fun kick to be on. I'll have to try that ice cream!