Tuesday, September 18, 2012

"I need to run to Utah real quick."

I said that to Paul tonight on our way home from visiting some friends.  I've become slightly obsessed with re-doing some things around the house without spending much money.  Like, all I'm allowing myself to buy are things like thread, spray paint, sand paper, etc.  And once in a while a little 'accent decor' if the space really needs it, but I'm talking 5 maybe 10 dollars at the most.

Sunday night I realized that my boy would be 2 in a week and I hadn't thought of a gift yet.  I'd entertained the idea a few months ago of making his room a 'big boy' room but sticking with the vintage transportation theme that I spent a lot of time and money on when he was a baby.  I'd bought a few random pieces of car/truck/train fabric on sale back in June and then forgot about it.  And I also forgot that I'd thought of doing  this project.  Sunday night I made a list of things I wanted to make/re-do/take out/add, etc.  There were 15 things on the list as of Sunday night, and tonight there are 2 things left to do!  I'm so excited for the changes.  So far I've spent $2.50 on a pillow.  $5.96 on a couple more yards of fabric.  $0.96 on spray paint.  $6.99 on quilt batting.  $6.99 for a few race cars. (He's gonna love this part.) And I have something coming from The Wood Connection in Utah that will set me back $7.00.  Everything else I had on hand (so it doesn't count towards the total cost ;)).  Not a bad birthday for about $30.00.  And that's all he's getting.  Oh, and maybe a toddler potty.  I'd love someone to potty train him for me...I think this'll be a long process...

Also, I'm this close to converting the crib to a toddler bed, but I already feel like I'll regret it.  I want him in his crib till he's like 10.

All that to say, I'm itching to start my next project with supplies I already have.  I'm planning on making a play kitchen for the kids for Christmas, as well as a mini play market.  I can see it all in my head, and it's going to be so cool, and I have everything I need. The only problem is that I planned to do it in Utah last month, so I packed my free night stands and my $2.50 garage sale bookcase that I'm converting, into the van.  Then the Utah trip went different than planned, and here I sit with nothing to do, and my next project sits in my parents garage.  So, "I need to run to Utah real quick."

I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.  So, if any Utah friends would like to join me as a little helper elf, I'll be freezing to death the week of Thanksgiving in my parents' garage with some paint and tools.

...Freezing to death doesn't sound half bad right now.  California has been having record breaking heat and humidity this summer.  I feel like I live in someones mouth...

Anyway, the friends I mentioned that we visited tonight just had their first baby, so we took them dinner.  Their baby is so tiny and cute!  And she doesn't throw coasters, or smash food into the place mats, or knock over the Wii, or throw things at other kids...  Oh babies...  I've been teasing lately with Paul that we should throw caution to the wind and just have another baby soon and finish up this whole pregnancy phase of life.  I'm not serious, but I think he thinks I am.  When we got in the car to come home, the first thing Paul said was, "I really don't think I'm ready for another one yet."  And before he could finish the sentence, I said, "Yeah, me either."  Our friends baby was not the problem.  I could have stayed and held her for hours.  It was the other two that happen to belong to me, who may or may not have been throwing coasters, smashing food into the place mats, knocking over the Wii, and throwing things at each other...they were the kicker.  I love my 2 free spirits, and they will remain just the 2 of them for a while longer. :)

The proud new dad.

The dads and the kids.

Garrett trying to escape.  He wasn't so sure about that tiny little one who wouldn't fight back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Last week I had it in my head that I was going to make a play kitchen and a crap-ton of play food for the boys for Christmas. Then a few days later I realized how unrealistic that was. :) I look forward to seeing yours though! I'll bet it will turn out great!

As for the toddler bed, that transition was a nightmare. But of course, like all transitions so far, I look back and think it really didn't last that long and he's doing awesome now. Still, I would wait until you have to. ;)