Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patrick's Day


I was going to let this holiday slide by unnoticed. Friday was quite possibly one of the most randomly crappy days I've had in a very long time. No reason. Just crappy. So much so, that Paul took the day off at the last minute, just so I could work on getting out from under the dark cloud. By Friday evening I decided to try and think of something fun to do on Saturday to help me snap out of it. Paul had to work all weekend, so it was just me and the kids.

I'd pinned a few ideas on Pinterest. Which, Pinterest, by the way, made the news here in LA a few days ago and the reporter doing the story called it, "Pin-interest", and said it's "Facebook's new social media threat." Ok, not quite.

Anyway, Garrett and I had green french toast and green milk for breakfast. I think he was scared of the milk. I gave him syrup for the first time. For some reason syrup can put me in a sugar induced coma faster than anything, so I only gave Garrett a few drops. But he LOVED it. He (literally) licked his plate clean.
After his morning nap we frosted sugar cookies. (Note to self: Next time, eat lunch before you pull out the cookies.) Syrup for breakfast + frosting for lunch = mother of the year.

I made Irish Stew for dinner, minus the irish. It was so yummy and so easy, and partially made up. Here's what I did if you want an easy crock pot dinner.About a pound of steak (or stew meat) cubed and browned in a couple tbs. oil
4 med potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 med carrots, peeled and sliced
1 lg onion diced
A little diced celery...I don't love cooked celery, but I had some, and my mom always puts it in her stew so I added a little.
2 cans of Cream Of whatever soup. I had one chicken and one celery so I used those.
2 cans of tomato sauce
About 1 tbs minced garlic
About 2 tbs chili powder
About 1/4 cup ketchup

Mix it all in a crock pot, I added about a cup of water. I salted and peppered it a little and let it cook for a few hours. Yummy. Oh and I think if you want it to be Irish, just add some Guinness instead of water.

Poppy had worked with Paul all day so we invited him up to join us. For dessert I made Irish dirt cake. Also, minus the irish. Very easy as well and pretty good. I got the recipe from tablespoon.com via Pinterest.I also dressed my kids festively and took pictures of them being cute. And during nap time I made a handkerchief dress for Addison. I wish I could find smaller handkerchiefs because when I finished this I tried it on Garrett and I bet it won't fit Addie for a couple more years, but if I cut it down I'd lose the pattern in the fabric. Anyway, it took like 15 minutes, I'm going to try it with regular fabric too though, so I can make them any size I want. Total cost, less that $5.00!And when the fun was over and all the messes were cleaned up, I went to find my family because it had been pretty quiet for a while, and this is what I found in our bedroom.Perfect way to end the day.

No comments: