Saturday, April 18, 2009

Peeps and Pepper

I've been reading some blogs and catching up on everyones easter fun. I think for me easter is the holiday that has the most appealing candy. Whenever I'm shopping for other stuff and I see a candy isle, I need to check it out...well I really don't need to, I just do anyway. This year, not so much. I didn't try not to, I just didn't. One time, and it was a 10 pack of peeps, and I ate 'em all. I'm not sayin' I'm proud, I'm just sayin'... I am however proud that I didn't eat ONE SINGLE Cadbury Mini Egg! That's usually my #1 weakness around this time of year...and Reese's eggs...and Whopper eggs...and gum ball eggs...All of which I ate none of. It was not a conscious effort, I really don't know how I did it, but I did.

When I was a kid we NEVER got peeps for Easter. I don't know why, we just didn't. I think when we asked what they were at stores when we were little my mom told us they were yucky. I don't think I tried one til I was in my teens. I LOVE 'em. But even to this day I still think of them as the filler candy for poor people. Their big and cheap so the basket fills up quicker for less money. Not that we were rich or had rich kid candy, I just got that idea in my head over the years for some reason.

Which leads me to pepper. My mom does not like pepper. My whole life there was always only salt on the table at meal time. I thought that was the norm. I knew pepper existed, but I thought it was a spice that you just sprinkle a tiny bit into a huge pot of soup or something. It wasn't til I started dating that I realized that salt was equal to the pepper and had a place on the dinner table as well. I also love pepper. My mom still never uses it and can't believe how much I use it.

I'm now in my late 20's and look back on all those peep-less and pepper-less years that I lost. Oh well, I've probably used enough pepper to make up for it...and unfortunatly I've probably eaten enough peeps too.

No comments: