Saturday, December 8, 2007

Things I've learned and done in Ukraine the first couple days...

Preface: I have alot to blog about and some pictures that'll come soon, but for the next few weeks I'm going to be random and a bit out of order at times.


1. It’s so cold here. -1 Degrees C. But it feels colder because it’s been windy and it’s humid…maybe that doesn’t matter, but it feels wet outside, freezing cold wet.

2. I was walking to the metro last night about the time that most people were coming home from work and I passed 6 or 7 men who were carrying flowers, and then when I got to the metro station there were a bunch more men buying flowers from street vendors. Come on American men, we ladies love that.

3. I met a Jewish med student on the flight from New York. We met in the city for dinner that first night. Of course it was a kosher restaurant. Interesting guy…another blog for another day…

4. When you ask a Ukrainian if they speak English they either say, “little bit” or “yes” even if all they know how to say is “little bit” or “yes”. But they are so helpful and try so hard to communicate. Great people.

5. My apartment doesn’t have hot water. Maybe Monday, so they say. So, I boil a pot of water…and, well it’s interesting, but I’m figuring it out. I’m really looking forward to a nice hot shower someday… (it makes the waterfalls at the Anniversary Inn not sound so bad.) ;)

6. I bought a Ukrainian phone and the sales lady thought it was the funniest thing ever that I picked red when the phone I got also came in blue and silver. I didn’t see the humor.

7. Culture shock and jet lag haven’t been too bad this time. When I was here 5 months ago I had a really rough first couple days, but this time everything I learned is kinda coming back to me. But last time I was in Sumy and this time I’m in Kiev. (Kiev is an easier adjustment) Two very different cities. And jet lag- 15 hours of sleep the first night and 2 Tylenol PM’s the second night and I think I’m good.

8. Ukrainians love tea. And even if you say, No thank you, I’m not thirsty, I don’t like tea, I’ll die if you make me drink that. They still make it, and I still drink it. (approved kind) Some of it isn’t too bad.

9. Kiev is SO HUGE. I don’t really know how huge but I’ll find out and let you know. Probably close to a bajillion people, maybe more.

10. And the last thing, I actually already knew this. I’m 9 hours ahead of Utah time. So don’t call me when it’s evening for you. Actually don’t call me at all. I love you and miss you, but come on, no one is worth $3.50 a minute. You can email me, google talk me, or skype me, but stop calling my cell phone. :)

I love it in Ukraine and I’m glad I get the chance to be here again. I’ll try to update more regularly and I’ll have some pics up soon…as soon as I learn Russian. When I upload pictures everything comes up in Russian. I'll figure it out. –Much love.

No comments: