Monday, December 3, 2007

2 fers

I spent most of today running around getting last minute things taken care of for my trip to Ukraine on Wednesday. I noticed pretty quickly that their seemed to be a lot more cops out than usual. I saw someone pulled over pretty close to my house and a few blocks later there was another one, as I was noticing the second one, a cop two cars ahead of me drove over the center median and went through a red light to pull a truck over that was headed the other direction. I started to think of people I should text and warn to drive careful. As I was driving down 2nd south thinking about it, I saw the flashing lights in my rear view mirror, which makes sense, I'm probably more likely to get pulled over than anyone I would have texted. I got pulled over for following too closely and not wearing a seat belt. I didn't get a ticket, he looked at my license and registration but he didn't even take it to his car. He just told me to buckle up and relax a bit. (whatever that means) I don't have any excuses, I just sometimes don't wear a seatbelt. I don't agree with the Click-it or Ticket campaign, I was rebelling against that for a while so that used to be my excuse, but I got off that high horse. I just don't always wear it.

**Sidenote: In college I did a persuasive speech about how I don't agree with the Click-it or Ticket Campaign. After the speech the class and professor were suppose to give their arguments and I had to defend myself. When I finished, no one had anything to say. That's right. And I got an A on the speech and out of the class. I didn't get crowned Miss Public Speaker in 2nd grade for nothin.

I also saw 3 accidents while out today. All little fender benders on surface streets. What's the deal people? Is their something in the air? My story gets better...

At the 3rd fender bender the guy who got rear ended was standing in the middle of the intersection directing traffic while talking on his cell phone. He almost got hit more than once but for some reason felt it completely necessary to motion to each car to let them know what to do. Dude, we've all merged before. Get out of the road and let us drive.

And finally, I finished everything I needed to do and was heading home. And, I got pulled over again! Twice in one day!! (I wish I could say it's the first time that's ever happened.) This time was pretty legit. I ran a red light. It was at the intersection of 7th East and 13th South. I hate that red arrow! Why can't all turn lights be yield on green. I hate the separate arrows. I have to admit, I've gone through that red light more than I've stopped at it, I should have guessed that today would be the day I'd get caught. The convenient thing is that everything I needed for the cop was sitting on the seat ready to go, and I was wearing my seatbelt. He must have already met his quota for the day, because again, no ticket. And I didn't flirt my way out, (Russ) and I was wearing a modest shirt, (Braden) he did take my information and run it and gave me a warning. The nice thing was that both cops reminded me to register my car this month. I almost slipped with the second one and said, "yeah, the last cop already reminded me." But I caught myself.

Oh, and more good news- the first pullover was when I was on my way to pick up my passport! It made it back in time so I'm really leaving on Wednesday!!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Maybe its a good thing you're leaving the country for a while. And yes, you ARE the one most likely to get pulled over, I've alwasy wondered how you get around when you're driving on your own!
Good luck and be safe, enjoy your year without christmas!