Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Saying Good-Bye

My uncle's funeral was today. It went so well. Last night we had a viewing and so many people came to pay their respects. Some I knew well, some I'd met briefly, some I felt like I knew, and some I'd never met or heard about. All were so kind and there was a very common theme. "You're uncle had a heart of gold." "He said hello everyday when I walked into work." "He always had a smile on his face." "He could make anyone laugh." "He loved his family so much." "He always put others before himself." "He treated his friends like family." "He was a genuinely good man."
My older brother was the only speaker, and my two younger brothers and I shared some memories of Uncle Randy and I sang "I'm Movin' On" by Rascal Flatts. It was a really nice service. It was a beautiful day and the time at the cemetary was wonderful. There was a huge rain storm last night and another one tonight so I'm really glad we had the warm clear day and bright sun for my uncle.

Another thing that made the day go so smoothly was that, not only did my fiance direct the service, but my future father-in-law, Phil, who is also a funeral director in Southern California flew in for the day to work the service with Paul. I can't tell you how much I truly love these two men. They mean so much to me and I'm so blessed to be becoming part of their family in 10 days.
I felt very peaceful all day and and got some of the closure I needed after a long and emotional week. I'm sure there are still sad and hard days to come, but also happy ones to look forward to. I'm back to the last minute wedding detail stuff that has been put on hold for a week. I'm not feeling too stressed and I just feel like I'll do what I can do and whatever I don't get done...I guess doesn't need to get done.

Thank you to all of you who have called and expressed your love and support during this hard and confusing time. It means a lot to me.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

So sorry about your loss. I am thinking of you and wishing you the best.