Sunday, June 10, 2012

photo dump and a recipe you'll thank me for

I love my days with these two. Lulu is so laid back as long as she can see what's going on and has something to chew on. Garrett is so busy all the time, taking Lulu's toys and taking the plants for walks.
I love this picture of Garrett. He HAS to sleep with the tiger pillow and the alligator. I usually lay him on the pillow and put the alligator at his side, but on this night he was so tired that I just laid him on the pillow. The alligator was at the foot of his crib and I didn't grab it because I knew he's be asleep so quick. But when I checked on him before I went to bed, he'd somehow found his alligator in the dark and snuggled up.We're finally feeding Lulu rice cereal. Just at dinner time for now and so far, it's going so well. So much easier than Garrett was. I'm giving most of the credit to the Munchkin Easy Squeezy Spoon. It's awesome. Cuts down so much on mess and drips. And I think she's sleeping longer because she's staying full longer. So far since starting, she's sleeping 9-10 hours. Daddy's little girl.And now the recipe. I've been trying simple, fast, and minimal-ingredient recipes to find an easy one to use for a pinterest party. I've decided on two. One sweet and one salty. I'll share the other one later, but for now, dessert first! You can find the recipe at chef-in-training.com.

Or right here:

1 pack microwave popcorn, popped
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbs light corn syrup or honey
1/2 tsb vanilla
12 large marshmallows

Instructions

  1. Pop popcorn until done, remove any unpopped kernels.
  2. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
  3. Add brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and marshmallows.
  4. Turn heat to medium and stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth.
  5. Pour over popcorn and stir in until popcorn is evenly coated.
  6. Store in an airtight container.
*My notes*

I've made it twice and both times popped 2 bags of popcorn because Garrett loves popcorn and he snacks on it to keep busy while I cook. Both times I've used at least 1.5 bags of the popcorn and I think it would be way too gooey with only one bag. I've never tried it with honey so I don't know which one is better. I wish there was an amount of time you're suppose to heat the mixture because I feel like if I cook it on high and quick it won't have enough time to get the good carmely flavor, but if I cook it too slow it'll get too hard once mixed and cooled. Both times it's been the best right after it's made, warm and gooey. After it cools it gets hard. Fortunately a few seconds in the microwave softens it back up. If I ever get it to stay soft, I'll update with what I did. But it's so yummy! But I'd serve it shorty after making it.

Garrett loves it too.
He's got the idea, table push-ups while snacking to cancel out the calories.

1 comment:

Carlie Sue said...

OOoooo I made the pop corn recipe when I saw it on pinterest, sooo good. The tutorial I saw said to keep it in an air tight container to keep it soft, but my attempt failed. I am going to try putting in in a tupperware container with a slice of bread next time, hopefully that does the trick, until then, I'll try the microwave idea.

(super cute pic of G in his crib with the alligator, love it!)