Sunday, January 27, 2008

Mammogram Samurai…and other random stuff this week.

--So, I went to an appointment with Kristin on Wednesday. She had a mysterious lump than needed a second opinion…or third, or something. Anyway, we were sitting in the waiting room, (the second waiting room that men aren’t allowed in) and we were talking about something funny. We were dying laughing, which is what we spend most of our time doing. And the receptionist told us we were way too happy for the place we were at. She kept watching us, I totally think she thought we were “partners.” Then Kristin went back to get changed. A few minutes later a nurse came and got me and took me where Kristin was. Kristin was wearing this Samurai hospital gown. When I walked in she said, “look at me, I’m a mammogram samurai!” I wish I woulda taken a picture. It was so funny. Anyway, I went through the whole appointment with her. Some may think it was weird and maybe awkward that I was in the room for all of it. But this wasn’t an experience that necessarily took our friendship to the next level. We used to live together, and needless to say, modesty wasn’t and isn’t really at the top of either of our priority lists. A male doctor finally came in to talk to her about the results, and at one point he turned to me to explain the results. I could see Kristin’s face out of the corner of my eye and it was all I could do to not start laughing. Instead I totally hammed it up, and acted so concerned and attentive to what he was saying. I’m pretty dang sure he thought we were lesbians as well. Good times. As we were leaving Kristin told me she needed to go get some blood work done. I asked her why and she said, “not for this, it’s for something else.” Right as we walked past the desk of female receptionist I said, “Kristin! If we are going to make this work then you have to tell me everything that’s going on with you! We can get through this together!” Everyone just looked at us. Maybe it’s not so funny to read about…sorry. But one thing I did learn while at the doctor. I need to be my own breast friend.

Later that night we were coming home from Logan and we stopped at my parents house. My mom had a plate of rice crispy treats she’d made and as soon as we walked in she said, “Hi girls! Grab a rice crispy treat and come sit down and visit.” So we did. A few minutes later my youngest brother came in and went for a rice crispy treat. When my mom saw him she said, “eww…Scotty, you might not wanna eat those, they fell on the ground.” Me and Kristin both looked at her kinda shocked. We got no such warning, in fact we were encouraged to eat them. Thanks mom. Favorites…??

--I moved into a new apartment in the Avenues. It’s so cute! I’m excited to hopefully be in Utah sometime long enough to unpack and enjoy it. I’ll put pictures on here when it’s cute…like in a month or so.

--Braden and Russ came over last night to hook up my electronic stuff. Russ also put together a little end table for me and Braden fixed my camera. By “fixed” I mean, read the instruction book and messed around with it for a couple minutes, and then gave me the short version. It was so good to see them! Kristin came over too. We all caught up on the borderline inappropriate things we always talk about. As well as eye buckets, mushrooms, same humans, that’s what she saids, the quote board, and a bunch of other stuff that no one will think is funny. We sat (and laid) for hours talking and laughing, and eating junk. (They all 3 struggle to believe that, along with my idea for the internet and credit card machines at the gas pump, I also pioneered the idea for refrigerated Junior Mints)…I don’t remember telling all the movie theaters about it, but I must have.

--I’m sick of the snow. It was so lame having to move in the cold and ice. I have bruises all over my legs and arms. My back hurts. I lost one of my SD cards. My apartment is a total mess. I’ve been living out of a suit case for 3 months. I always have a cold weather one and a warm weather one all packed, just in case. I’m leaving tomorrow morning with the warm weather one. Finally, no snow.

…And then, I got a massage and I remembered that George Clooney and John Krasinski are going to be in a movie together…George and John on the big screen at the same time…that’s the stuff dreams are made of. And suddenly, everything is ok again.

Ok, enough randomness. Now I’m off to Peru…

1 comment:

Jeri said...

Okay, Andrea, it's me Jeri, your sort of Sumy connection. I want your job, you can have mine. My little Sumyite, Sumite, Sumyonian? is driving me crazy and I could use some warm weather.Well, sort of already have that but I could use some warm weather ALONE! Don't forget whilst in darkest Peru to say hello to Paddington's aunt in the old bears' home.